4 Weeks Post-op (Summary)

A Wheelchair and a Scooter

Yesterday I went out again but I took a Norco just before leaving the house. I drove and I walked in and out of the establishments (mall, restaurant and grocery store).

When we went to a local mall I used a manual wheelchair provided by guest services. I knew that a lot of walking wasn’t going to work for me yet so the wheelchair was our best option. It worked out very well as we spent about 3 hours at the mall and I spent almost all of that time in the wheelchair. I sat on a folded blanket (like a very small down-filled comforter so it’s very soft). I tried a donut but it was less comfortable. I did stand a few times just to have a break from sitting but overall it wasn’t bad.

After we left the mall we went to dinner (Chinese buffet) then to pick up a few groceries. At about 1630 I took another Norco just to stay ahead of the pain. At the restaurant I walked back and forth between the table and the buffet and I was also able to sit almost upright at the booth with only mild discomfort. Fortunately the booth had seat cushions that were fairly soft.

At the grocery store I used one of the store’s motorized scooters. This also worked out very well. I did walk to and from my vehicle with mild discomfort but I’m glad I did not have to walk around the store. Even though I hadn’t walked much throughout the day I was getting pretty sore.

By the time we got back home I still was uncomfortable and very glad to change from jeans to shorts and recline on the couch. In the two or three hours before I went to bed I did not need any more pain pills, not even RRET Tylenol.

I definitely did the right thing with the wheelchair and the scooter. I never would have made it through the mall and grocery store trips on foot. At least not without quite a bit of pain.


I’ve had very little pain today. There has been some itching and a bit of aching but I think I caused some of that by cleaning around the stitches along the mid-line of my scrotum.

As usual I became a little achy by about 1830 and took two RRET Tylenol. It’s typical for me to become achy by the evening.

The fact that today has been almost pain free after being out most of yesterday is promising.

My progress at 4 weeks:


  • My only “bandage” is a strip of gauze I occasionally wrap around my penis to protect sensitive flesh.
  • The right side of my scrotum is still swollen but the swelling has decreased quite a bit over the last two days.
  • I still get “itch attacks” that drive me crazy but they are rare (a couple of times a week). I’m pretty sure they’re from the stitches. I do have to be careful of rubbing when I itch so that I don’t make myself sore.
  • I can still see some of the stitches along the mid-line of my scrotum as well as around the glans of my penis where it meets the shaft. I can feel a line of stitches on the under side of the shaft, slightly to the left, running from the base to the glans. There are also still visible stitches where the testicular implants were inserted.
  • The inside of my cheek is feeling closer to normal. It’s lumpy but I can no longer feel stitches.
  • Because the swelling in my scrotum has decreased I can see the stitches along the mid-line more easily. The upper/front half has healed enough that I can no longer see stitches. I can still see those on the lower half (back toward the anus). I still have a bit of blood coming from the very rear of this stitch line (which is normal – this will stop when the healing is complete).

Positioning and movement

  • Sitting and standing aren’t too bad – walking is what is the most uncomfortable, by far.
  • As long as I’m sitting on something soft I can sit up for longer periods and a bit straighter (thought not completely upright unless I perch on the edge of the seat).
  • I still walk like a cowboy – but with my legs just a bit closer together and with little or no pain.
  • I have driven my personal vehicle which has an automatic transmission. It is a bit uncomfortable because I can’t keep my legs as far apart as I’d like and because I have to sit pretty upright (on a folded, very soft blanket).
  • I still sleep on my back. I’m typically a side sleeper but I don’t want to risk bringing my legs together just yet.
  • I am not back at work (thankfully) and won’t go back before 9 December (at the earliest).
  • When I do things I still try to limit myself and do only a little at a time on a given day. (By “do things” I’m talking about simple food preparation, doing laundry and a bit of light house cleaning). I am able to do more and for longer than I could a week ago.


  • My overall pain level has continued to decrease.
  • I have taken more pain medicine on a couple of days so that I could be a bit more active. I was still careful about what I did and I would not do this on a regular basis.
  • The less I’m up and moving around, the less pain I experience – though things are improving.


  • I am urinating through my urethra most of the time. While out and about I still wrap gauze around my penis to protect sensitive tissue from all of the movement. During those times I urinate through my catheter so I don’t have to remove the gauze until I’m back home.
  • I have an appointment for Monday (29 November) to have the catheter removed. (My doctor’s office is closed this week due to the Thanksgiving holiday)
  1. I know you will feel a lot better once that catheter is removed and it will help with the walking and pain more than you can imagine.

    I am continuing to send good vibes your way.

    • Hey Cris,
      I’m surprised by that! I can’t imagine the supra-pubic catheter making that much difference but I’ll take what I can get, lol. Thanks for the well wishes!

  1. No trackbacks yet.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s